Hemp and marijuana are both derived from the same plant species: Cannabis sativa. Within C. sativa are varieties that are bred for various purposes. Plants grown to produce fiber and seed products are called “hemp” and plants grown for medicinal or recreational purposes (traditionally, a high THC content) are referred to as “marijuana.” These definitions have led to the conventional notion that marijuana products are high in THC while hemp products contain little or no THC and are high in PCR oil. As the cannabis industry continues to grow and research attempts to further elucidate genetic differences between cannabis and hemp, this terminology and how we classify cannabis plants could (and should) change.
For policymakers, a limited and often misinformed knowledge in cannabis genetics makes differentiating hemp and marijuana a difficult and superficial task. In the 1970s, Canadian scientist Ernest Small published a taxonomic report in which he drew an arbitrary line: he decided that 0.3% THC in a sifted batch of cannabis flowers was what determined the difference between hemp and marijuana. This decision, written 30 years ago in obscurity has had far reaching ramifications for how countries all over the world regulate cannabis. In the US, any cannabis plant with a THC content higher than 0.3% is deemed marijuana and therefore federally illegal.
- Our oil is sourced from a U.S. based company that utilizes organic, locally grown whole plant hemp as the raw material for their phytocannabinoid-rich hemp oils.
- To further guarantee a quality product, our bites and oils have been third party tested to ensure that they are free of pesticides, heavy metals, and other toxins. Our products are also tested for consistency and potency so you can be sure you are giving your pets the same bite or tincture each time.
- We’ve also added a certified organic blend of five medicinal mushrooms for additional support.
- Most of our ingredients are organic; our chicken is pasture raised and organically fed, and our lamb is grass fed from New Zealand.
Many people choose PCR hemp supplements to help with overall physical and mental well-being, as well as the following:
- Helps maintain normal emotional balance and calmness
- Supports immune system function
- Supports a healthy inflammatory response
- Helps maintain a healthy intestinal tract
Our understanding and knowledge of the benefits of hemp is in its infancy so we will almost certainly learn of many more in the years to come.
One of the key differentiators of our products is that they contain a blend of five certified organic mushrooms: Reishi, Shiitake, Mesima, Poria and Turkey Tail. In addition, our bites contain either pasture raised chicken or grass fed lamb liver which makes them extremely palatable. They are also grain, GMO and gluten free. Our oil is derived from the whole plant and is a full spectrum oil that includes other beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids, providing what is known as the “entourage effect.” In our opinion, the benefits of full spectrum products are much greater than “isolates” which are much less expensive and can only provide the effects of the single compound that has been extracted or isolated.
Mushrooms are reported to have the following benefits:
- Help maintain a normal inflammatory response
- Antioxidant protection
- Help support liver and kidney function
- Help support blood sugar and blood pressure within normal ranges
- Help maintain normal histamine levels and supports seasonal skin allergies
Our products contain zero THC so there are no psychoactive effects. In addition, our products are third party tested for potency and pesticide residual so you can be confident you are getting a safe and effective product. Our recommended serving size is conservative and we have had great results; however, you can safely increase the dose incrementally to get the desired effect.
Our products are legal under the Farm Bill of 2014, as they are derived from industrial hemp and contain less than .3% THC. Our products contain zero THC and they are legal in many states.
PCR stands for phytocannabinoid-rich hemp oil.
CBD has been the term commonly used for the products containing cannabidiol or CBD. However, CBD is only one of many beneficial phytocannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. The term “CBD” could also be used to denote an “isolate” product or one that contains CBD only.
Phytocannabinoid-rich (PCR) hemp oil is a term that is more indicative of the full spectrum oil that we use in our products. There are many other beneficial constituents found in the cannabis plant that also contribute to its healing properties such as other cannabinoids, terpenes (smell) and flavonoids (taste). All of these work together synergistically for what is known as the “entourage” effect and provide much more benefit than an isolate.
In addition, GW Pharmaceuticals, a company out of the UK, has patented a medicine derived from a CBD isolate for use in treating seizures in children. It is believed that once they receive final FDA approval for their drug in June, no other companies will be able to use “CBD” to market their products. We do not know for sure if or when this might happen but you might see more companies that use a full spectrum oil switch to the use of the term phytocannabinoid-rich (PRC) hemp oil vs. CBD.